Sunday, October 2, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup with Sweet Italian Sausage

Today was a simple Sunday Funday!  One of my best gal pals and fellow foodie, Kellie, sent me a picture of a butternut squash soup that she and I had been talking about for a couple weeks.  Like myself, Kellie has been trying new recipes with ingredients she doesn't usually cook with, and has been especially interested in soups, too!  (Must be the cold weather in these midwest states!!)

In previous discussions about soup recipes, Kel and I have been trying to come up with ways to thicken our soups without adding all the fat and calories.  I've pureed rice in soup, added a small amount of flour and lowfat milk, or simply pureed an entire soup.  In approaching this recipe, Kellie decided to completely eliminate the original recipe's request of heavy cream and just enjoy her soup with a thinner texture.  I haven't personally tried this soup, but if Kellie made it and raved about it's delicious flavors, I believe her!!  I can't wait to make this one myself!!

Kellie's Butternut Squash Soup with Sweet Italian Sausage

Butternut Squash Soup with Sweet Italian Sausage

1 large butternut squash, about 3 pounds, halved, seeds removed
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings
1 large onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, plus 12 whole leaves
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
6 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
2 tablespoons butter

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...