Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sneak Some Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor's Porch {Zucchini Bread}

Did you know that tomorrow, August 8th, is National Sneak Some Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor's Porch Day?  Well, it is!

I have no idea where this holiday came from, but rumor has it that someone came up with the idea due to the incredible amounts of zucchini that gardeners find themselves with, come August.  That is, all gardeners except for me, it seems!  This is my second year in a row that I have planted zucchini, grew very large plants, but much to my disappointment, am not producing any fruit!

Although I was unable to grow any zucchini for myself, I still had more than enough to go around this year (I wouldn't even mind a little more, if you know where I live.  I don't have a porch, but the front steps will do!).  This season I made zucchini casserole and zucchini bread.  This was my first time making zucchini bread, and it was delicious!  I was able to make two loaves and freeze some shredded zucchini for later use!
Fresh Zucchini Bread
If you look closely, you might see a few specks of green in there!  Here's what you'll need:

Zucchini Bread
1 1/2 cups flour
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/4 t baking powder
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1 egg, beaten
1 cup sugar
1 cup finely shredded, unpeeled zucchini
1/4 oil (I used canola but any will do)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans *optional
OR 1/4 nuts & 1/4 raisins (that's what I did) *optional

1 comment:

  1. YUM! Awesome Jes! I just shared this on FB. Prepare to get some hits!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...