Sunday, August 14, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes {BLT}

I've been making fried green tomatoes since I was a teenager.  I love the movie, Fried Green Tomatoes, which is 100% what inspired me to attempt making them so many years ago.

Fried Green Tomato Sandwich {BSFGT Sandwich}

My first attempt was an instant success because I am the best cook ever a complete disaster!!!  I think I was 14 when my friend and I tried to make fried RED tomatoes.  They tasted great, but they were a soggy mess!
Over the years, I continued to attempt fried green tomatoes just about every summer or during Spring Break; we would visit my grandma in Florida, where we'd pick up some firm green beauties from the local flea market.  With the help of my mom and grandma, we have tried a variety of breading mixtures including crushed crackers, egg and flour, coarse cornmeal, and regular bread crumbs from a canister.  I thought I had nailed it a few weeks ago with regular cornmeal and the canister bread crumbs.  They were great, the best I had made yet!  The tomatoes were so crisp and tasty that my sister and I were hungry for them a week later.

We put our brains together and made one more adjustment.
The secret ingredient: Panko.
Source
  Oh, Kikkoman, I love you!!!
My sister suggested that we not only make fried green tomatoes, but make a BLT (Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato) Sandwich.  Of course, ours had spinach instead of yucky iceberg lettuce, so I like to call it a BSFGT Sandwich!

So what are you waiting for?!  Get out to your garden or the local farmer's market and get yourself some unripe tomatoes!!!  Here's what you'll need:

Fried Green Tomatoes
3 large green tomatoes
salt
1 cup flour
2 large eggs
2 T milk
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs (or 1/2 come regular bread crumbs)
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon cajun seasoning or other spice you enjoy
Bacon grease (or olive oil plus 1 T butter)

The instructions are a little lengthy, so here's a
PRINTABLE RECIPE & INSTRUCTIONS.

Enjoy!  Please, if you make this, let me know how it turns out!
Thick cut, nice and crispy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...