Sunday, September 11, 2011

Creamy Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup {Slowcooker Recipe}

Fact:  It is very hard to take a nice photo of a creamy, colorless soup when using a point and shoot camera.

With that being said, I present to you my very first self-created soup!!
 
Creamy Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup
Whew!  That was hard.  (Not the soup, the photo!)  I know it could have been better, but hey, I'm no pro.

This recipe came about because this weekend found itself to be a little rainy and chilly, which made me hungry for some comfort food.  Checking my refrigerator, I discovered some chicken breasts that needed to be used up quickly.  I found rice and chicken broth in the cabinet, which inspired me to make one of my favorite soups.  Problem was, I had NO CLUE how to make it, nor did I have the time to stand over the stove all day.

So, in the slow cooker went onion, garlic, chicken broth, rice and lemon juice.  I set my cooker on high.

Three hours later, I had a funny looking gel-like soup inside my cooker.  Then I remembered that starchy foods can be used to thicken soups, so I scooped out some soup and stuck in my immersion blender.

Voila!  Creamy soup without all the fat!!

My friend, Colleen, soup lover extraordinaire, came over to test my soup.  We both agreed that the taste was great, but the soup needed more texture.  So today I browned some mini bella mushrooms and cooked some rice, added both to the soup and discovered that I am not so bad at creating my own concoctions!!

Here's what you'll need:
Creamy Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time:  3-4 hours

Ingredients:
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 garlic clove, minced or grated
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (8oz each)
6-8 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup uncooked rice, plus 1/2 cup cooked
black pepper to taste
mini bella mushrooms (optional)

 
A Better Shot of the 'Shrooms
Happy Sunday Funday!!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!!! Yes that sounds delish, especially b/c I like mushrooms now. Weird huh!? You are so cool with your concoctions. Mine rarely turn out as successes. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...