Sunday, January 22, 2012

Fresh Strawberry "Short" Cake

Helllooooo sweet yummies!!
Are you looking for a fresh cake to wow your loved one on Valentine's Day, or 'just because'?  If so, this cake is for you.  I made this fresh strawberry cake last weekend.

Fresh Strawberry "Short" Cake

I don't have all that much experience with making cakes from scratch, so I had no clue how this cupcake recipe would turn out at as a cake.  I went with my gut that if box cake recipes can be cupcakes, then this cupcake recipe could be a cake!!! I hoped for the best, tasted the raw batter and became very excited because the batter tasted just like Bisquick shortcakes with strawberries and millk!!  As a baked cake, it still tastes very similar.

In the photo above, please note that I made 2 cakes and a double batch of frosting.  I chose not to double the cake recipe, but make to make two separate batches because I remembered reading once that you shouldn't double your baking recipes because it often won't work out the same as a single batch.  Does anyone know why that is? 

If you're a layer cake connoisseur, you'll notice that this cake is not perfect; the bottom layer is thinner than the top layer.  I'm pretty sure the cakes didn't turn out exact because I'm impatient and didn't wait for my eggs and milk to get to room temperature for the first cake, but the second, fluffier cake,  I did.

In the end, I felt that the flavor of the cake is incredible.  It was a bit dense for my preference, but I'm assuming that was because I didn't exactly follow the original directions.  I am considering the next time I make this cake, I'll either add 1/4 teaspoon  baking soda, or patiently wait for my ingredients to reach room temperature.  Probably the latter.

So, with that, here's what you'll need:
fresh strawberries
all-purpose flour
baking powder
coarse salt
pure vanilla extract
milk
unsalted butter
large eggs
confectioner's sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...